Do you or someone residing or intending to reside at your premises require life support equipment? If so, you may like to register your life support requirements with Active.


You should let us know so Active can register your account and give you extra protections with your power supply. You can read more about life support below.



Am I eligible?

If you or a person residing or intending to reside at your premises requires any of the equipment below, you're eligible to be registered for life support:


  • an oxygen concentrator
  • an intermittent peritoneal dialysis machine
  • a kidney dialysis machine
  • a chronic positive airways pressure respirator
  • crigler najjar syndrome phototherapy equipment
  • a ventilator for life support
  • any other equipment that a registered medical practitioner certifies as required for life support.



How do I apply?

Please contact us on 1300 587 623 to register your details.  Alternatively you may contact us by emailing


Active will send you a life support pack outlining important information, including the steps you need to take to complete your registration.


You'll also be provided with a copy of a Medical Confirmation form which you need to return to Active after having your medical practitioner complete and sign.


Once Active have registered you for life support, we’ll advise the licenced retailer that supplies electricity to the building who will in turn advise your local energy distributor.



What happens if I don’t complete and return the Medical Confirmation form for life support?

Active will not be able to permanently register you for life support if you don’t complete and return the fully certified form. We will send you reminders. 


If we don’t hear from you after these reminders, we may deregister life support from your account. 


If you require more time to complete the Medical Confirmation form, please contact us to arrange an extension.



Keeping your details up-to-date

If your premises are registered as having someone who requires life support equipment, it's essential that you keep Active informed of any changes at your premises, including if you no longer need or wish to be registered for life support.


Important changes include:

  • changes to your contact details, including telephone number and postal address
  • electricity rebates, and
  • matters involving your electricity account.


For further information regarding Life Support, please call us on 1300 587 623.



Your Plan of Action

In case of a power interruption, you should have a plan to minimise the impact on your health. Ask yourself the following questions:


  • How does your life support equipment perform if the main supply fails?
  • Have you contacted Active about your life support requirements?
  • If you have a back-up battery, is it fully charged for use at all times?
  • If you have reserve oxygen cylinders, are they filled and working?
  • Have you made a note of the nearest hospital, its address and contact details?
  • Do you know if your hospital can supply power via back-up generators during power interruptions?
  • If your back-up battery is low and power has still not been reconnected to your home, do you have a transport plan in place to enable you to get to the hospital?
  • Do you have important contact numbers on hand for:
    • Doctor
    • Local hospital
    • Ambulance
    • Taxi
    • Active’s 24hr number – 1300 587 623
    • Personal carer
    • Health care professional
  • Is your supply of medications, prescription drugs and any special health needs fully stocked?
  • Have you protected your electronic equipment by plugging computers and other sensitive equipment into surge suppressors or considered an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) for temporary back-up power?
  • Does your phone still work when electrical supply is disrupted? Cordless phones won't operate without electrical supply. Do you have an alternative phone service available?


You won't be able to use your landline phone if it is plugged into an NBN modem and there's a power outage. Should this happen, you must enact your Life Support plan of action.



I have more questions. Who can I contact?


For more information on life support: